Monday, December 31, 2012
All Washed Up
Great Escape Games), but hey, nice new store, free swag and I figured it would be fun day even if I'm not sure when I'll need to be going back. They had a painting competition where they supplied the mini and you brought your own paints, and a conversion competition where you got to pick from a range of chaosy bits and had to use your own tools. My kids and I all happily kit bashed away and then switched to the painting. By the time I got brush to mini we were running a bit late. I looked at the paints I'd bought with me and decided to try and something different. No Citadel paints. I had P3 white, a bunch of SWM washes, and a couple of SWM pigments. And not much time.
It worked out well, considering the rush job I was actually quite happy with results. Happy enough to take the experiment a bit further. I had some Sisters of Battle sitting around after Canadian Customs decided they must be some kind of contraband and wouldn't let me send them up to the cold white north. Instead they all ended up in Simple Green. A week and some primer later they were ready to work. These were all done with a variety of Secret Weapon washes and pigments, and then some Citadel Shining Gold for the last touch.
Painting like this proved a lot quicker and easier than I imagined. It also looks better than I hoped it would. As a coherent unit on the table (yeah I know, Sisters, so table time will be limited) they look great. I gave them all the same basic steps, Armor Wash for the armor gave them a nice, dirty bone look. Soft Body black went on all the weapons to differentiate them from the armor. Hair and skin were Parchment wash and Flesh wash respectively. It did mean they are all blonde and a bit jaundiced, but I was happy enough to leave it as is. Look at the photo below, the facial detail is great considering all I did was drop a coat of wash on it. Finally for the colors on the models I added some distinction by giving each unit's robes a bright wash, appropriately Ruby, Amethyst and Sapphire. Bases are old school 1st generation SWM ruined temple and these I colored with Concrete and Algae for a nice worn look.
To finish them off I used pigments to darken down the weapons and give them better contrast against the models. Without it the Armor wash and Soft Body Black had been a bit too similar as the primary color. I added Metallic Iron to all the weapons and then for some extra detail I added Patina Blue to the melta guns and Rust Red to the flamers. The last step was to touch up some of the iconography in Shining Gold. While the models had looked good, this really made them pop and made them look finished.
I've got more to go, including an Exorcist that is almost finished with the wash method, an Immolator that is not even started, and then squads of Seraphim and Repentia that I'll paint with a similar formula. Need to hit up SWM for some more bases first though, I've run out of Ruined Temples. I'd also consider using this method again. If you want decent quality gaming ready minis this could be a good way to go. It would depend on what you are trying to paint though. Orks and Ultramarines would be hard to do like this, in those cases washes would just be a part of the overall process. Your own custom chapter could be easy though, and the colors you get with the green and brown washes just scream Nurgle. Look forward to hearing what uses everyone else makes of this.