Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Secret Weapon Miniatures - Basing Products Review Part 2 - Ceramic Bricks!!



Carrying on with the reviews! Part 2 of my review on some of the Secret weapon miniatures basing products, this time on the bricks I used on my Decimator! Join me after the jump....





This was a product that I was excited to try. For a long time I have wanted to create my own urban-tech bases, but after many attempts, have never been happy with the results. I thought that these would help with the realism of them, and I was right, they rock!


You get well over over one hundred in a bag, and it will last for ever. They are baked ceramic bricks, rather than crumbly plaster, and each one has nice crisp edges, but is still soft enough for you to mark with a scalpel or sculpting tool, if you want to add some wear and tear.


As mentioned above, I used these on my Decimator for this years Golden Demon UK, making them into a parapet that the Decimator is stepping off of.



I also made a display base for my squad entry (that I didn't get round to finishing), using them both as paving edges and exposed bricks in a damaged wall.



To do the paving bricks, I stuck the brick down where I wanted them with a little dot of super glue, and, once they had dried, took some cheap filling plaster (like, the cheapest I could find in Tescos) and scooped some out with my finger, and rubbed it over the glued down bricks to represent the mortar in between the bricks. Afterwards, I wet my finger in a bit of water and then wiped the tops of the bricks clean, and then ran my finger around the gaps in the brick to ensure that the mortar was below the brick line all the way around. If you want you can leave some small gaps around the bricks, in preparation for some moss breakthrough later on.




For the wall, I stuck the brick to base (I used foamboard), then used milliput as "plaster" to bring up the thickness of the wall, and covered the edge bricks with the milliput, to make out that the bricks were behind the plaster and damage had exposed them. With the milliput was still soft, I used a sculpting tool blade to make some cracks in the plaster.


Once this was done, I used the same technique as above to represent the mortar, and added some fine sand and some old broken pieces of milliput to represent the broken plaster.

Easy to use and great value, these bricks offer unbeatable realism and unbeatable awesomeness. Highly recommend these.

Keep an eye out for more reviews in the future, I have some AK Interactive Weathering washes that I have to try, as well as a couple more products from SWM, so stay tuned to Standard Template Construct!!



1 comment:

  1. Great series of reviews. Keep them coming:)

    Reply